Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Ice "Dead" Fishing!

Landon and the girls have been sliding and ice skating down on our canal just down from our house. The water is completely frozen down to the rocks and dirt except in a small area down below the waterfall where there is a deeper hole. While sliding around, Landon decided to go exploring and found this frozen sucker fish just below the ice. He was so excited. The sucker fish had a little minnow in his mouth, but it fell out as Landon picked up the fish. I am not quite sure how Landon got this fish out because he wasn't one bit wet. He brought the fish home, sure he had provided dinner for us, and was quite disappointed when I would not cook it for dinner. I offered for Ace to take it home and maybe his dad could take it and get it taxidermied. Landon was not impressed and put the fish in a rabbit cage to protect it until Josh came home to see it. He tried to talk Josh into BBQing for us but Josh gave the same answer as I did. This is a very impressive fish which my chickens will love to eat when the novelty wears off. Landon did have to have a BATH and his gloves, coat, and snowpants all HAD to be WASHED immediately. That fish was approximately 18-20 inches long and the mouth was opened in sucking form, about a 1" diameter circle, so you could put your finger in it. Quite a unique fish I must say. Way to go Landon!

3 comments:

Polkowske Fam said...

That is an amazing catch Landon!!! I can't believe that your parents wouldn't cook it up...they just missed out on the BEST dinner! :) (however, it is a good thing that I am states away, so I am not ringed into coming over for the feast!) That sounds like great fun, and you are definitely a mighty hunter!!! Keep having fun!

Em said...

Good Catch Landon!!! I am very impressed that you didn't even get wet. I am sure it would have made a fantastic dinner, maybe next time. We are sure excited to come back and get to see you in 7 months! Merry Christmas

Kacey said...

hahaha your kids always make us laugh!!! THey are soo funny and cute! We miss you guys!! Have a Merry Christmas!

p.s. tonya if you see this add us to your blog, kaceyb10@gmail.com ;)