Monday, September 28, 2009

SWIM BIKE and RUN

Last Saturday was a first for our family..........Michone and Ashley did a youth only triathlon! Tara and I were so proud of them! It was split into 3 age groups. Michone did a 100 yard swim, a 3 mile bike ride and a 1.5 mile run. Ashley did a 75 yard swim, 1.5 mile bike ride and a 1 mile run. There were approximately 180 children participants. It was an untimed event but we are sure that both of our daughters were #1.

After they are finished - I love how Michone "encourages" Ashley to hold up her hand.

This is the pond they swam across. Michone's age group is to the right and Ashley's is to the left. They swam across this and came out just to the bottom left of the photo.

Michone getting ready to start her swim. They only let 10 swimmers go at a time to make sure there was enough adults to adequately watch them. Once all ten were out the adults would swim back and start the next ten.


Michone in the water - she is the one with the yellow cap.

Michone does not like this picture but I think it shows beautiful form.


Michone in transition. Unfortunately, we did not get any more pictures of Michone as Tara and I were a little excited. Actually, not too long after this picture was taken, the announcer on the loud speaker (who had been reminding parents to keep track of their children and keep them out of the water) reported that a little boy had been lost. He had a grey Florida t-shirt with Mickey Mouse on it. Yep - that was Ryan. The announcer also moonlights as a dentist who I go to. I wonder if he will ask me next time if we still have all our children.


Here is Ashley doing the backstroke. She was a great swimmer and the first one out of the water for her group. She did the first 30 yards or so in a breaststroke and then flipped to a back stroke.

Ashley coming out of the water.

Ashley in transition to the bike.

Start of the bike ride.
The event was held at River Rock Estates which is a development with a nice road and pond but not much else. This was a great place to hold it as there were no cars and it was safe for the children.
Ashley coming in. She was borrowing a neighbors bike and was not familiar with it - particularily the hand brakes. Shortly after this picture she needed to stop. She tried to reverse her legs and to her surprise she did not slow down. I was able to catch her right before she plowed into some parked bikes.

Ashley nearing the end of the run.

Ashley about finishing. She passed the two in front of her. There is also a Dad cheering her on!


A great finish!



Kalli, Landon, Ashley and Michone after it was done.

4 comments:

Dean and Dawnie said...

Tri-Athletes! Yes! You are so awesome!

Grandpa and I are so proud of you! The pictures are GREAT! You swam, biked and ran...WOW! I'm so impressed!
You two get the family big pat on the back for extra hard work and great competition.

Goosie is so proud of you too! She told me the water was really COLD!!! But you still did it and fast too.

Tell us next time, maybe we can come? Sure do love you all.

Em said...

Congratulations Ashley and Michone!!! That is really so neat and fun!! It's so fun to see them during the action. What a very exciting event!

atkernsfam said...

Congratulations girls! You both did an awesome job. I am so impressed that you can do that kind of stuff at such a young age. Keep it up!

mariann and Tory said...

thats awesome!! Way to go!!