From the top of the Washington Monument looking at the US Capitol.

The White House:

From the steps of the Lincoln Memorial looking towards the Washington Monument. (Justin and Emily, you may have the Bridge in Prague for Mission Impossible, but we have the reflection pool from the movie Forrest Gump)

From the steps of the Lincoln Memorial looking towards the Washington Monument. (Justin and Emily, you may have the Bridge in Prague for Mission Impossible, but we have the reflection pool from the movie Forrest Gump)
From the Washington Monument looking towards the World War II Memorial (Lincoln Memorial in the background). I really enjoyed the WWII memorial as there was a special feeling. Many people have given so much throughout the history of our country. We owe a debt of gratitude to the thousands who have helped to establish and preserve the freedom we so enjoy!


I could not help but think of Grandpa Bingham as I walked through the memorial. The memorial is surrounded by pillars for each state and territory.
At each end of the oval there was an arch representing the Pacific and Atlantic theatres. At the base of each arch is listed the main battles/areas of fighting for each theatre. 

The memorial has the water fountains (which were lighted above) representing the intensity of battle and it also had a deathly still pool representing the stillness of death. There were thousands of stars behind this pool each representing 100 deaths. Very humbling and touching to me!

God Bless America

The US Capital from about a mile away:
In between our hotel and the national mall (where all the museums and memorials are) we walked right past the Ford Theatre (where President Lincoln was shot):

And accross the street was the house he passed away in:

The National museum of Natural HIstory. (most young people would know it as the movie "Night at the Museum)

This triceratops was BIG!

National Air and Space Museum. I can not remember all the details, but there were historic original planes including this one (I think first sound barrier):

and this Spirit of St. Louis:


Finally, we went to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. For good reason, photography was not allowed out of respect for the millions who perished. I recommend you look at the website ushmm.org. We spent 3 hours here and could have spent another 2 easily. So sad and so heartbreaking. We must each make sure we do not let our selves be led away or justify persecution! A quote from the memorial states

God Bless America

The US Capital from about a mile away:
In between our hotel and the national mall (where all the museums and memorials are) we walked right past the Ford Theatre (where President Lincoln was shot):

And accross the street was the house he passed away in:

The National museum of Natural HIstory. (most young people would know it as the movie "Night at the Museum)

This triceratops was BIG!

National Air and Space Museum. I can not remember all the details, but there were historic original planes including this one (I think first sound barrier):

and this Spirit of St. Louis:

and the Wright Brothers:

Finally, we went to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. For good reason, photography was not allowed out of respect for the millions who perished. I recommend you look at the website ushmm.org. We spent 3 hours here and could have spent another 2 easily. So sad and so heartbreaking. We must each make sure we do not let our selves be led away or justify persecution! A quote from the memorial states
"First they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out -- Because I was not a socialist.
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.
They they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out - because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak for me.
- Attributed to Martin Niemoller, anti-Nazi German pastor.
We may be having tough economic, social, and political times, but we live in a blessed nation. My hope is that we will serve and follow the God of this land so that His promised blessings will preserve us all in the challenging and uncertain times ahead.



3 comments:
Josh and Tara,
Thanks for the post. It seems like you both really enjoyed it. I'm starting to feel like I've been to more historic places in Europe than of my home country. Someday we will make it to DC.
Justin
Looks like you guys had a blast! I am glad you guys got some alone time! wink wink!
We want to go to Washington DC and it was nice to see your pictures cuz then we felt like we were there!
Josh and Tara that is crazy! We(Mom, Dad, and I) were there at the same time you were! Insane.... DC Is beautiful! I loved everything about it! Next time we are in the same place at the same time, maybe we should do dinner??
Post a Comment