Sunday, February 14, 2010

Florida Sunshine

Sometimes life throws you a curveball high and inside, but sometimes you get a soft easy one right down the middle. This post is about a recent soft easy one down the middle.
Through a unique set of circumstances, our office picked up a client who has a resort hotel in the Florida Keys and needed an audit done. I was asked to go down to the resort and do some onsite work for the audit. So, off I trudge through the snow and cold to the airport - duty calls and I will do what I am asked:)
The Florida Keys are a group of islands stretching out south and west from the bottom of Florida into the Gulf of Mexico. It is about a four hour drive from Miami to Key West, which is the last island and the end of the road. The place where I had to go for work was halfway between Miami and Key West. The bridge above and the bridge below are past the place where I was. Most of the bridges are not too long, but as you can see, there are some long ones! You can see a secondary bridge that is pretty narrow. This is the remnants of an old railroad that was built to transport pineapples up to the mainland. I think a hurricane in the 60's caused some terrific damage and the railroad was not repaired. However, by that time the tourism demands were enough and a new highway was put in.

This picture below is on the mainland. You go through miles of this stuff - I suppose it is a part of the everglades?

This picture is looking back at the island where I was working on. I was told that all the water is piped down from the mainline. You can see the pipe under the bridge.
Same bridge but other side

Looking out into the Atlantic. You can see little islands out there.

This is a picture of the resort hotel. It is called Cheeca Lodge and Resort.

more pictures of the resort

Here is a really cool tree. These do not grow in the forests I am used to!

More pictures of the resort.


"Key Lime pie" is on about every restaurant's desert menu. I thought this was a cool design and took a picture to show the children.
This picture below was taken from the same chair as the one of the pie above. The weather was very nice, high of 78 and low of about 68. However, the locals said it was much cooler than normal. All things are relative as Tara told me it was at zero the same morning I took this picture!

The picture above and below are from the same chair.

I believe a person could almost get used to this!
The next several pictures are of the room I stayed in. These were very nice rooms and I was definitely out of my comfort zone (like how much and how often do you tip?)


The tub filled from the ceiling!

I am standing in the bathtub below taking the picture above.
The two pictures above and below are of a couple of homes in Miami in a normal neighborhood. Notice the bars on the windowns and doors. It reminded me of some of the suburbs of Melbourne, Australia.
In was a nice change of weather, but it sure would have been a lot better if my family could have been there. Maybe next time.

8 comments:

Erica Hill said...

Wow! Those are some beautiful photos. I didn't know anything about the Florida keys - that's really interesting. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip- tough life.

Garity said...

Gorgeous! The Keys are one of those places I think everyone should visit at least once.

If you do go back with Tara let me know and I'll give a good friend of mine a heads up who is an Executive Chef at a very cool restaurant in Key West...I'm serious, you have to try the stuff he creates (he calls it "New Island" cuisine) and he'll take care of you.

I think it's funny you mentioned the bars on the house but not the color. When we lived there our house was mint green in between a peach house on one side and a robin egg blue on the other.

Justin said...

Wow! what a great vacation... I mean work. I loved all of your amazing views! Hopefully, you will have many more opportunities to go and "work" there.

Tonya said...

What a tough life, having to go to Florida for FREE:) That looks like a fun place to visit, but I do agree that family would have made it more fun. I would have liked to see how that tub worked--that was crazy! I wonder what they were thinking!!

mariann and Tory said...

Oh you poor over worked soul! I think you might need a vacation to recover from that work trip!:)

Polkowske Fam said...

Well, now maybe I understand WHY you might want to punch numbers for months as your "choice" of occupation...you deserve a perk every now and then...thanks again for all of your help.

atkernsfam said...

Josh, what a fun post. We have always wanted to go to the Keys...I'll have to show Dad these pics.

Your room was awesome. Do you remember watching A-Team? They used to drag, hog tie and "relax" BA to get him on a plane for a trip....maybe you should take a lesson. Just so your sweetie would go on one of those bridges!
huh Tara! love, MOM

Dean and Dawnie said...

That last comment was from Dean & Dawnie...Tia was home and used my computer so it must still be logged in under her name????? Got to figure out where I go to unlog! DB

Oh, I see the button...